Volunteer at the SASC
Our SASC family would not be complete without our wonderful volunteers. We are grateful for the incredible work they do and the warmth they bring to our community. The SASC is indebted to their labour.
If you’re interested in volunteering at the SASC, please read through the following page and complete our application below. We welcome applicants of all genders, backgrounds, and levels of experience in anti-violence work.
Please note that none of our volunteers work directly with clients.
Volunteer applications for 2023/2024 are now closed! Please check back with us in August 2024 for our next round of volunteer hiring.
What do SASC volunteers do?
SASC volunteers are instrumental to the day-to-day operations of our office and the education work we do. We have three different volunteer streams, including Office Volunteers, Outreach Volunteers, and Healthier Masculinities Volunteers. Different types of volunteers have different tasks, which you can read about below. In addition to the tasks below, all SASC volunteers can participate in committees that organize events, film screenings, or educational workshops. In order to volunteer at SASC, volunteers must attend the volunteer orientation training and ongoing monthly meetings. All volunteers are required to commit 4 hours per month.
Office volunteers help with a number of administrative tasks to help with the day-to-day operations of the SASC. This includes:
- Developing content for social media
- Organizing our community-lending library
- Stocking the SASC resource area
- Blog writing! (This is optional, but highly encouraged.)
Office volunteers are expected to commit 4-6 hours a month, inclusive of our two-hour monthly volunteer meeting.
Outreach volunteers help with the education and outreach work at SASC, which includes:
- Helping the Educators facilitate workshops
- Assisting in the development of SASC events and programming, such as events during Sexual Assault Awareness Month or the SASC Annual Art Show
Outreach volunteers are expected to commit 4-6 hours a month, inclusive of our two-hour monthly volunteer meeting.
Healthier Masculinities Volunteer
Healthier Masculinities volunteers help with the education and outreach work of the Healthier Masculinities program at the SASC, which was created to engage men and masculine-identified people in sexual violence prevention and to foster a culture of healthier masculinities on the UBC campus. This includes:
- Helping the Healthier Masculinities educator facilitate workshops
- Assisting in the development of Healthier Masculinities events and programming.
This position is open to all students. We especially encourage men and masculine-identified students to apply!
Healthier Masculinities volunteers are expected to commit to at least 4-6 hours per month, inclusive of our two-hour monthly volunteer meeting.
What can the SASC volunteer program do for me?
SASC volunteers learn and engage with social justice and violence prevention education. Our volunteer training takes place in September with experienced facilitators working in different areas of anti-violence work. Our training is designed to give volunteers a solid understanding of anti-oppressive approaches and understandings of sexualized violence, and violence prevention education. Throughout the school year, facilitators are also brought in to educate our volunteers and enrich our program during our monthly volunteer meetings. SASC volunteers may also ask for letters of recommendation. The SASC volunteer program can be a great place to meet like-minded people and put your ideas into action in a supportive setting.
Join the SASC Volunteer Program
The volunteer program at the SASC runs throughout the UBC academic year from September – April.
2023/2024 Volunteer Program Application Dates:
- Applications Open: August 9, 2023
- Applications Close: August 23, 2023 at 11:59pm
- Volunteer Interviews: September 16-28, 2023
- Volunteer Training Days: September 9, 10 & 17, from 10am-4pm
2023/2024 Volunteer Meeting Dates:
- Volunteer Meeting 1: Tuesday, September 26, 2023 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
- Volunteer Meeting 2: Tuesday, October 31, 2023 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
- Volunteer Meeting 3: Tuesday, November 28, 2023 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
- Volunteer Meeting 4: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
- Volunteer Meeting 5: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
- Volunteer Meeting 6: Tuesday, March 26, 2024 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
- Volunteer Meeting 7: Tuesday, April 30, 2024 – 4:30pm to 7:30pm
Steps to becoming a volunteer:
- Review the SASC website to gauge your interest
- Review qualifications below
- Decide which volunteer stream is right for you
- Review the timeline to confirm availability for training and meetings
- If you are under 19, please have a guardian fill out the liability form
- Fill out our application form
- Wait for an email, then schedule an interview
Successful applicants will be invited to attend September training!
- Member of the UBC community (ie. current student, alumni, etc)
- Must be available for volunteer training and monthly volunteer meetings each month (see timeline above)
- Passionate about changing campus culture and sexual assault prevention
- Willing to learn more about sexual assault, consent and how they intersect with the university experience
- Keen on raising awareness on campus about sexualized violence
- Comfortable working within a team
- Can commit to all training sessions, meetings, and educational opportunities
- Empathetic, non-judgmental and practices an anti-oppressive approach